Sunday 26 February 2012

Been a while, guess its all the running!!

Hello,

Been a few weeks since my last Blog. Been a busy lad. Having worked away the last two weeks, I've had a few new places to run. Two weeks ago I had the delights of running in Torquay. Just two nights down that way so i decided on just the one run around the area. Most of the run was around the seafront and town centre, I also took in both sides of the harbour wall. Covered a distance of 7.52 miles. That was my only mid week run that week. I followed it up with a 14.12 mile run on the Saturday. A loop circuit that took in Aldershot, Farnborough and a good stretch of the Blackwater Valley Path.

This week has been an eventful and enjoyable week for my running. Firstly, on Monday I received an email ref the North Downs Way 100/50 Ultra. Asking what and where I would like to be applying my services. After a little think and a few emails going back and forth, I decided on being course sweeper for the first 32 miles!! What the actually requires me to do, is basically run the first 32 miles of the course removing the course markers. From Farnham to Reigate Hill. It took me a little time to realise, but, the first Ultra I plan on running will be as a volunteer!! I've set myself the challenge, one which I fully expect myself to achieve!!

Tuesday I was away again. This time in sunny Norwich. I decided on a bit of a free spirited approach to my run as there didn't appear to be any natural landscape features to follow like Torquay. A quick glance at the map and I decided the best policy would be to run towards the city centre until my app told me I had ran 4 miles, then turn round and comeback. So off I went with this plan in mind. Then I hit the 4 mile mark, and decided to head back along the river. Unfortunately I got back to the hotel half a mile short, so decided to run around the local business park and ended up running 8.2 miles! Still it was fun and at a fairly quick pace. It was one of those evenings where I felt like I could of just ran and ran.
Thursday, and an unexpected night back home. I was supposed to be away, but things change. I decided to expand my 7 mile route into an 8 mile route. The plan was to push it! That was exactly what I did! Not only did I do the quickest 8 miles, I also do my quickest 5 miles and 10k!! Happy Days!!

Saturday. The Big One. I was looking at completing the longest run I have ever done. Setting out to run 16 miles! Again I expanded my route that would take in the Blackwater Valley Path. A beautiful morning for running, and excited to get out after such a good week of running. As I got to my new turning point by the Farnborough Gate retail park, I decided to change the route. My running was going very well and my times were just great. I had planned to run through Frimley and Mychett then turn towards North Camp and onto the Blackwater Valley Path. Instead I decided to stick to the roads and head into Ash, then Tongham, through Runfold and finally home. I was sure of the exact distance, but I was pretty certain it would be more than 16 miles. As I got updated on my time and distance at 12 miles, I realised that I could break the 2 hour mark for a Half Marathon distance. This thought gave me a boost. The reason for it, other than the obvious, is that I have been looking at a site called Xempo. They do tshirts that are colour coded reference your running times, white being you have completed a half or full marathon, yellow being you have completed a half marathon at sub 2 hours. To buy the shirt they verify your time. So at the Fleet Half Marathon I am hoping to do this. An achievement I thought may be a push, but not now! I ran through the half marathon point at 1 hour 57 minutes and 5 secs!! And that was not even trying to do it! I now believe the orange shirt ( 1hr45 - 1hr55 ) could be in reach! Anyway, with the buzz of knowing I had achieved this time I pushed for home! I arrived home completing a distance of 16.75 miles! In a time of 2 hours 32 minutes 13 secs. I was immensely impressed with myself!

I am now 4 weeks away from the Fleet Half Marathon. Sponsorship has been a little slow, but I'm sure it will pick up. It is also 5 weeks away from the National Lottery Olympic Park Run! I plan on a few runs during the week, but nothing this weekend as I shall be helping at the Aid Stations for the Thames Tow Path Ultra.

I have also realised that i have covered 102.2 miles in February alone, and 181.1 miles this year!
Makes you wonder where I could be had I ran in a line somewhere?

That's it for now, please have a look at my just giving page

www.justgiving.com/DennisCartwright

Thank You x

No comments:

Post a Comment